Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving - a time of judgement

Family - they can be the most supportive people in your life, or the most judgmental. My family likes to switch roles. Sometimes they feel the need to inform me that despite the fact that I am only 22, I’m getting old and need to be married and popping out a kid now. I like to think that 22 really isn’t on death’s door. I mean it isn’t like I am over the hill yet or that my womb has died.

Part of this comes from most of my family living in East Texas, where if you are 18 and unmarried you are an old maid, and probably will remain such. My immediate family is very supportive. My mom and dad have always let me do things at my own pace and tried not to interfere. They constantly tell me they are proud of my choices. My other family members however feel the need at Thanksgiving to pinch my cheek, warn me about my fastly encroaching death and warn me to “Get myself a man.”

Is there really anything wrong with being single? What is this plague I wear so boldly? What makes extended family members question my sanity and sexuality because I chose to not couple myself with just any guy. Ever since I was little, my relatives have asked me about my latest boyfriend. Imagine their disappointment every time when my answer was the same as the last - don’t have one… Haven’t met one that was “the one”.

I’m not just going to date for the sake of dating. I am not a lonely miserable person. If someone is going to entice me back on the market, they will have to be pretty special.

I think my relatives should eat more pie. Eating pie makes people happy and keeps them occupied. Pie is the true miracle of the holidays - keeping people quiet, not gossiping and happy.

No comments: