Friday, November 21, 2008

Pick-up lines

One has to applaud a man who can come up with a unique pick-up line. There is something so absolutely painful about watching a guy use a standard one and having his hopes dashed because of his poor choice. Maybe I am just picky, but I get weirded out if it feels too much like a common everyday pick-up line.

I thought I had heard every one in the book, but the new James Bond movie introduced a new one, “Can you help me find the stationary?” Classy… Yeah right… It was inventive, I suppose, but unless you are Daniel Craig, I just don’t see it working. I have heard many including the standard, “Did it hurt? You know - when you fell from heaven?”, and they typically have the opposite effect of what the guy intended.

In fact, I have made it my mission to come up with anti-pick-up lines. Occasionally a crazy one slips past me to which I have no response. Sometimes creativity gets the better of some people, and they use that one shot with a girl to get straight to their intentions. I have even had one guy ask me “You look different. Did you get laid? Did you want to?” Way to tell a girl up front what’s on your mind.

Yes, there really is no point to this blog, other than to say - if you plan on using a pick-up line anytime soon. Think it through and be creative. And warn your friends…

I guess all this stems from the fact that I am completely not interested in dating and that always seems to be the exact moment many become interested in asking. I don’t know how I can put the “no vacancy” sign any clearer on my forehead. I’m happy being single, and I intend to stay this way for a while.

No comments: