Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bashin' the Passion

Old column....

Recently, I learned about a growing fad in colleges nationwide. My friend told me about it, and frankly it was a little surprising not to mention disturbing.
It seems, college students around the country are now renting Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ and making fun of it. Parties are being thrown with no other purpose than to bash this film.
Even the popular television series, Gilmore Girls, recently made a reference to partaking in this growing craze.
My first thought was, “Watch out for lightening.” What on earth would posses these individuals to do something so incredibly sadistic and cruel?
Has our society become so heartless they could make fun of an innocent man being killed?
This growing fad sends an unsettling message. Its insensitivity almost rivals starving an innocent comatose woman so her husband could marry his mistress with whom he had several children.
My second thought though was the hilarity of the whole situation. The opposite of love is not hate but indifference.
If they truly wanted to take a stand against The Passion of the Christ, they should not have rented it. As it stands they are watching it, and they will not be unaffected by its message.
The bible says, “ So shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11. (NAS)
I hope everyone watches The Passion of the Christ. If certain individuals feel they have to make fun of it, so be it.
The movie is being watched by students who would probably never go see it under any other pretense.
“What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice.” Phil 1:18
I wonder who will have the last laugh on this matter.

No comments: