Saturday, October 13, 2007

Peter...

Still another column from the TC News.

The Bible is full of the God of the universe hand-picking weak vessels to do His bidding.
Jesus’ own disciples loved Him with their whole heart and yet fell short numerous times. The worst and best of these was Peter.
Peter was impetuous, zealous, obnoxious and pushy. His actions were rarely considered acceptable for the position he held in God’s kingdom and yet God loved him despite his weakness because the motive of his heart was right.
Peter was the only disciple that walked on water. He was with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration when Elijah and Moses appeared, and he was the first of the disciples to get the revelation that Jesus was the son of God.
Because he was the first one to understand who Jesus was, Jesus said in Matthew 16: 17-18 (NAS), “And Jesus answered and said to him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.’”
Out of all the disciples of Jesus, I relate most to Peter. Like Peter, in my zealousness, I try to do things in my own strength and timing. I probably would have denied my Lord after the cock crowed the first time. I am human and just because I profess to be a Christian does not mean I am capable of doing anything right. I am constantly falling short and succumbing to stupidity. Because of my weakness, my life in the past has seemed hopeless at times.
Then I encountered Him.
I experienced a vision of His love for me and have not been the same since. He looked at me as though He was completely and hopelessly in love with me. Everything in me screamed, “Don’t look at me like that. I am unworthy and will only break Your heart.” But His gaze was unfailing.
I don’t deserve the unconditional love and forgiveness He showers me with, but that doesn’t stop Him. I still fail miserably at times and probably always will, but like Peter, I have learned that while man looks at the actions, God looks at the heart.
Thank God, for grace – undeserved, unmerited favor.

No comments: